Bring mum breakfast in bed with these fresh and healthy Vegan or Classic Meyer Lemon Blueberry Muffins. They are surprisingly light and fluffy even though they are made with whole wheat flour and are just delectable.
Vegan Meyer Lemon Blueberry Muffins
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 6 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup rice milk, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coarse salt
- scant 1 cup light maple syrup, room temperature
- 4 tablespoons unrefined coconut oil, melted
- juice and rind of 2 Meyer lemons
- 1 cup blueberries, washed and patted dry
- a few tablespoons turbinado sugar (optional)
Line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners. Preheat the oven to 375F.
In a small cup or bowl, whisk together the ground flaxseed and water. Set aside to thicken.
In a medium bowl, stir together the rice milk and vinegar. Set aside until the milk looks separated.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
Add the maple syrup, melted coconut oil, lemon juice to the rice milk mixture and stir together until combined. Add this mixture, along with the thickened flaxseed mixture to the flour in the large bowl. Stir until just combined. Sprinkle the blueberries and lemon rind over the batter and gently fold it all in.
Divide the batter evenly across the prepared muffin tin (remember, there will be some leftover batter for the additional 6 muffins). Sprinkle some turbinado sugar over top of each muffin if desired. Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes and then remove them. Line 6 more wells of the muffin tin with liners and fill them with the remaining batter. Bake and cool the remaining muffins.
Tips and Suggestions:
- Easily convert this to a conventional rather than vegan recipe. Substitute one large egg for the ground flaxseed and water, skim milk in place of the rice milk and butter in place of the coconut oil.
- No Meyer lemons? Substitute regular lemons. The taste will be slightly brighter and equally delicious.