This is the ultimately customizable meal.
Often, parents complain about having to make multiple meals in order to accommodate their kids’ requirements. These tostadas truly are a perfect meal. No matter the tastes at the table, everyone can find a combination that suits them. It comes together in a flash which makes it just right for a weeknight dinner or for an impromptu casual dinner party. The kids will have fun as they can “choose-their-own-adventure” from the wide assortment of toppings and assemble sky-high piles on their plates. They’ll also enjoy watching you attempt to eat these with some finesse and to demonstrate your good table manners. Everyone leaves the table happy (possibly even giggling) and with full tummies.
If you haven’t tried it before, venison is incredibly lean and is very flavourful. Although it is possible substitute ground beef for the venison, it’s worth the effort to track some venison down – it elevates these tostadas from delicious to irresistible. These tasty venison tostadas are truly an irresistible way to introduce Mexican cuisine and a new lean meat to your family.
Tips and Suggestions:
- Not all worcestershire sauces are created equal. Be sure to check the label before serving it to your gluten-sensitive guests. Worcestershire sauce in Canada can be made with malt vinegar which is not gluten-free. (Thanks Monica!)
- Ground venison will likely not be available at your local grocery store. Stop in and inquire at your butcher or check at local farmers markets for venison and other game meats.
- This recipe scales well – double or triple it with ease for a larger group.
- If you’ve accidentally slightly overcooked the meat or left it uncovered while keeping it warm on the stove, stir in a tablespoon or two of olive oil to help bring it back.
- Interested in learning more about eating venison? The Guardian recently published an article about Why Venison Is Good For You.